I’m Monica. I am a product leader and women advocate who has spent the last decade building great product in the FinTech space. I believe in Financial Safety for all. I believe the future of FinTech is to make FinTech more human.
I moved to Malaysia as part of BigPay’s founding team to help launch and grow what is now one of the fastest growing NeoBanks in South East Asia with 1.37 million users.
Prior to BigPay, I steadily progressed from junior analyst in big brands like Visa and Barclaycard, to being one of the first joiners in UK Challenger, Tandem Bank. I helped build the digital bank from scratch and worked with Tandem’s CEO on strategic initiatives and Board management.
I sit on the Board of PayEd – Education in Payments, and am recognized as Singapore’s #Fintech65 Product Leaders and Women in FinTech.
I am also a Podcaster. I host “Purpose Driven FinTech” podcast, write “Innovating FinTech” newsletter, and mentor young professionals.
Within the NeoBanking space I’ve:
– Built credit cards from scratch
– Helped grow from one to multiple products and geographies
– Brought the NeoBanking model to Malaysia
– Launched Beta Malaysia
– Launched the Remittances business
– Launched Beta Singapore
– Built SME solutions that I didn’t launch
– Iterated the product to engage and gamify
– Built a payments API
– Launched programmes with the Ministry of Finance and others Fintechs in the ecosystem
– Hired and trained a winning product and design team
– Made tons of mistakes building product, managing people, and managing upwards
Working in corporate and start-up environments, as well as in the UK, Mexico and Asia, has allowed me to develop a reputation as a strong, empathetic and resilient leader, confident in working at all levels of the organization.